I LOVE yoga for morning workouts!!! It’s an awesome and refreshing way to start out your day. Blogilates has some fabulous morning yoga workouts if you’re looking for some basic moves to kick start a fabulous day!
Thanks for reading hun!
Did you know, back in the day in New York; an ORANGE was a traditional Christmas gift?
Groceries haven’t always been stocked with delicious fruits and veggies as they are now. Oranges were grown in Florida, so it was a really big deal to get one if you lived out of state.
I think we forget how blessed we are to have constant access to nutritious natural foods. That being said, mom if you’re reading this- you better not put an orange in my stocking this Christmas!
However, you can bet I’ll be thanking God for every blessed bite into a juicy piece of fruit.
Your recipe was FABULOUS girly!! I love how much fun you’re having with my summer challenge. From the look of your delicious recipes, it seems you’re really challenging yourself to get out of your comfort zone and experiment with your recipes. You go girl, that is EXACTLY what this challenge is all about!
I’ve officially survived an entire week of Jillian Michael’s yelling at me through my TV!
PHASE 1 WEEK 1, CHECK!
Week 1 consisted of 3 videos:
Workout 1: Monday and Thursday (Shoulders Triceps, Chest Abs and Quads)
Workout 2: Tuesdays and Fridays (Back, Biceps, Hamstrings, Glutes and ABS)
Cardio: Wednesdays and Fridays
Sunday Rest day!
Results so far:
Not only is it an incredible feeling to have finished the first week of Body Revolution, I literally feel my body’ energy increasing every day. I have the urge to go out more, get things done quicker, and now I don’t feel like I’ve been punched in the stomach after going up a flight of stairs.
On top of that, I can actually see my upper stomach muscles developing! I was skinny before, but I’m EARNING my way to FIT.
Skinny < FIT
I’m one week closer :)
After week 2 is done, I’ll post pictures of just how much my abs have developed in 2 weeks!
Off to make a post-workout salad, keep an eye out for the recipe :)
I’ve been blogging about dragon fruit for 2 years now and I still have yet to try one!!
I can’t seem to find any in San Diego :(
Dragon fruit is officially going on my summer goal list. Something so pink and juicy must gravitate towards me somehow, even if I have to get it imported.
Hi Carly, Nice to meet you!
I’m excited you’re joining the Summer Challenge: 2 new recipes a week!
You’re officially on the list :)
Don’t worry, I got your blog’s link off of your home page.
I’ll be posting PLENTY of motivation every day to keep you inspired to follow through till the end of summer.
I can’t wait to see what two recipes you make every week! Don’t forget to message me every time you make a new recipe, so that I can reblog it on the official page!
Do you know what two things you want to make this week?
Have a fabulous day :) Xox Brittany
GUESS WHAT GUYS!
I have just one and a half weeks left of college before I’m out for summer, so I’ll be back to blogging FULL TIME before you know it!
Get excited for your dashboard to be filled with:
- My quick and easy healthy meal/snack ideas (with a spin of Brittany creativity)
- Exercise posts that will motivate you to get your butt off the computer and actually exercise instead of just scrolling through
- My daily morning smoothie posts (which will be incorporating veggies in them for the first time)
- How to get fit with your significant other (Yes, incase you were wondering, Bryan and I are still together and happier than ever! We will be getting in shape TOGETHER and inspiring you to do the same) Don’t forget, having a motivational partner, even if it’s your best friend, is a FABULOUS way to stay motivated even on those days where you just want to sit on your bed with a carton of Ben and Jerry’s Ice cream.
- NEW!!! Since I run my OWN health blog, I’m going to start incorporating some new beauty posts. Keeping your body healthy on the inside is VERY important, but I’m going to start blogging a bit about how to keep your body healthy on the outside too. (Ex- clear skin, longer full hair and healthier nails!
- REQUESTS- You guys are so great about asking TONS of questions which I ALWAYS encourage! My inbox gets really full, very fast, but don’t worry I’ll get to your question as soon as I can :) If I get enough of the same question (which happens frequently) I’ll made a whole post about it. So please don’t be afraid to ask :)
Have a wonderful afternoon guys! I hope everyone is ready to kick their butts into shape with me, for this beautiful summer.
Check back tonight in a few hours for my newest favorite healthy recipe- Garlic and Herb Stuffed Brussels sprouts.
Totally feel like Carrie from Sex In The City right now!
I’m sitting by my window, writing my next article for the newspaper in these fabulous white boots!
Except… I write for the Health and Fitness section, not the sex and love section thank goodness hahaha
I’ve recently come up with the idea for a brand new blog series that I’m going to be posting on quite often. I’m calling it the "FIT-MYTH BUSTING SERIES!"
Get Excited, these topics are generated directly from the hundreds of messages that you guys send me!
FIT-MYTH BUSTING: Frozen Fruits vs Fresh Fruits
Some people are reluctant to freeze their fruit, or purchase frozen fruit from the grocery store.
In order to get the maximum health benefits from fruit; there is a trending misconception leading consumers to think that fruit must be fresh when it’s consumed.
Do we get the same amount of nutrition from frozen fruit as we do from fresh fruit?
YES WE DO!
In 1998, a study was done by the Food and Drug Administration which concluded that, “Frozen fruit and vegetables provides the same essential nutrients as fresh fruit and vegetables.”
This is REALLY great news for us health bloggers, who LOVE using our blenders and making fruit smoothies year-around! You all know the passionate love affair I have with my blender :)
Feel free to freeze fruit to your hearts content!
BRITTANY’S FIT TIP- Freeze 1/3 of your fruit right when you buy it, and use the frozen fruit for your smoothies. This provides less chance of at least 1/3 of it going bad before you get a chance to eat it.
This is a great chart to keep in mind when you pre-plan your grocery list before you go shopping for your weekly foods!!
STOP before you go to the store and THINK about the fruits/veggies that you want to purchase for the rest of the week.
Refer back to this chart if you’re having a hard time putting a list together.
Creating your own grocery list BEFORE you go to the store is such a simple task… yet will really keep you away from ending up in the candy isle.
TRUST ME- 2 bags of Kit-Kats and a tummy ache later, you’re going to wish you had made pre-made a healthy grocery list!
More posts this week on HOW to grocery shop and HOW to pre-plan a healthy grocery list of your own is coming this week.
Part of living a healthy lifestyle in college, is studying and improving your education!
What do you guys listen to when you study???
For all of you out there who are having trouble focusing on studying because you’d rather be working out or on your health blog… this is especially for you!
What pandora stations, artists, or music genres do you find helpful to listen to when you’re studying (while hopefully munching on a healthy bowl of fruit) :)
- Even though I’d rather be listening to Taylor Swift, I’m going through a classical music phase right now. I’m currently hitting up the classy fabulous "Wolfgang Mozart" station on Pandora as I type this while studying for my Spanish Exam tomorrow. I find the beautiful (wordless) music, helps me tune out all the distractions around me, without the desire of wanting to sing along (hense, the wordless aspect of classical music.) Mozart must be working, because I ACED my World Religions exam last week, and listened to him the ENTIRE time I was studying! MOZART IS BOSS!!!
What music helps YOU study?!?
I’m at Henry’s picking up a few things for the rest of the week, and I was so excited to find out they have an entire Gluten free section!!
One of my sorority sisters told me that she was allergic to Gluten, so I made sure to text her this :)
We’re so blessed to live in a country that gives us so many options for our allergies and eating habits!
Being vegetarian, I especially appreciate the vegetarian options that most restaurants offer now substituting Tofu and veggies for meat.
If you guys have special eating habits or allergies, message me!! I guarantee you I have a BUNCH of ideas to find a healthy way of getting around it!
Totally not a stupid question!!
You’re talking to a college girl on a budget and $20 is definitely enough for your weekly food allowance if you’re careful!!
Here is a link to my grocery list that I take with me when I shop-
Brittany’s basic rules to remember when you’re shopping on a budget:
- Eat before you go shopping, trust me you’ll be more likely to buy healthy foods with your $20 bucks. This prevents you from filling your shopping cart with Ben and Jerry’s Ice cream and chocolates. Also, working out before you shop is a great tip as well. After you workout, your body goes into “Health” mode and you’re more likely to purchase healthier food.
- Planning ahead is especially important when you’re shopping on a budget. Take a look at my grocery list above, and pick the foods from it that you know you’ll eat and not just leave laying around.
- Don’t shop at big named grocery stores like Albertsons or Vons. You’ve got an AWESOME location if you have Mexican grocery stores around you, they are GREAT for really inexpensive produce! If there was one closer to my house I would go there ALL the time. Last time I was there I got an ENTIRE box of fresh strawberries for $.99 cents and I was skipping around the store like I won the lottery!
- Check for coupons when you’re at the stores!! A lot of store offer coupons for discounts on fruits and veggies. Usually different fruits are on sale every week. ‘
- Buy fruits that are NOT pre-cut or pre-packaged. Stores actually charge you for pre-cutting fruits for you! You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself :)
- Before you go shopping for next weeks foods, take a look back at everything you bought this week and see what is left over so you know not to buy as much of that next time. You can spend that money on something else :)
- Being a HEALTHY college girl on a budget isn’t easy but you’ll learn a lot and it will teach you a lot about saving money and eating healthy for the rest of your life!
Let me know how it goes, I’m excited to hear about all the healthy foods you buy :)
I really need to buy a heart shaped cut out thing.
If I had one, ALL my foods would be heart shaped.
Heart shaped sandwiches, heart shaped sweet potato vegan burgers, heart shaped apply sliced, heart shaped Peanut butter banana sandwiches, ALL OF IT!
I try to make eating healthy the FUNNEST in every way possible, heart shaped cut outs would amplify my kitchen experience like 87459028745%!
And don’t get me started on crown shaped cut outs….
(Source: , via everything-healthy)
If you struggle with acne, you’re not alone!
There are MANY different types and reasons you may have it.
Top 3 reasons you have acne:
- You’re not taking care of your skin and your face is dirty which causes your pours to clog up.
- It’s hereditary, meaning one or both of your parents had it and passed it on to you.
- You’re eating unhealthy sugary and salty foods that directly lead to your face breaking out.
For reason 1: Make your own anti-acne face mask.
Some face masks, usually left on your skin for around 30 minutes, might contain compounds that soothe your skin and kill bacteria. Here are some common formulas that people like to use:
- Olive oil. Apply one tablespoon to your face, let sit, and pat off with a towel.
- Cucumber and oatmeal. Mix in a blender until you get a consistency you like, then apply to your skin. (You could even do the little cucumber slices over your eyes, too!)
- Honey. Rub a light layer of honey into your skin, and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
- Egg whites. Separate the yolks out of one or two eggs, beat the whites a bit, and apply to your face. You should feel your pores tighten up.
For Reason 2: See your dermatologist.
If you’ve tried washing your face and know you keep it clean, then it is most likely hereditary! It is your best bet to head straight to your dermatologist. A majority of the people who inherit bad acne will need to take an oral contraceptive (meaning medicine that you take by mouth.) External washes may work for a while but are not a permanent solution.
For Reason 3: Start eating healthy!!
If you’re reading my blog, you should already be eating healthy anyway! If you’re not, don’t get discouraged, it’s never too late to start. If you pack in a LOT of water with a plethura of fruits and veggies, I bet you’ll begin to see clear skin in no time.